Friday 29 January 2021

A Ray of Hope and Sunshine

I am sure that many people have been filled with renewed hope for the future seeing the shining faces of the new president of the United States, Joe Biden, at his inauguration ceremony, and his beautiful vice president, Kamala Harris, making history as the first coloured woman to serve in this way. Obviously a deeply religious man, Biden said,`Many centuries ago, St Augustine, a saint in my church, wrote that a people was a multitude defined by the common objectives of their love....opportuity, security, liberty, dignity, respect, honour and yes, the truth.....and as my mom would say, `Just for a moment stand in their shoes`.....Some days you need a  hand....there are other days when we are called to lend a hand. That`s how it has to be.....And I promise you this, as the Bible says, `Weep, ye may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning`. We will get through this together.'

I feel really in harmony with these sentiments, and I am sure that we will indeed get through this time of pandemic, having taken important steps forward in our understanding of true brotherhood.  

Another reason to feel hope for the future is that we have wonderful examples of young people - our new generation - willing to stand up and be counted on many important issues. (For example Greta Thunberg whom I wrote about in my last blog).

Another is America's gifted young Poet Laureate Amanda Gorman. I watched her on TV during the inauguration celebrations. I was so inspired to see this beautiful black girl speaking with such passion, having overcome an earlier speech impediment. Her poem ends with these words:

'We step out of the shade aflame and unafraid. The new dawn blooms as we free it. For there is always light. If only we're brave enough to see it. If only we're brave enough to be it.'

So I think we have much to be thankful for, stepping confidently into `the new dawn`, and remembering, as White Eagle says in The Quiet Mind : `You are spirit, you are immortal, you are a radiant being, a child of God! Live in your spirit and allow nothing to bind or limit you.`

No comments:

Post a Comment