Friday 3 July 2020

Lockdown Lessons


As lockdown restrictions gradually start to ease, I think many of us are reflecting on lessons being learned during this time. I was reading recently an article about Lorraine Kelly, UK TVs presenter of `Good Morning Britain` and she was saying, `It`s taught me that I don`t need lots of stuff, but I really miss my parents...and I miss seeing my pals in the village for a cup to tea!` I think it has been a time which has brought a unique opportunity to understand more clearly what really does matter in life. People are much more important than things. 

For me, it has also brought a much greater appreciation and thankfulness for our modern day technology which enables us to keep in touch with family and friends,  even though physically far apart. I am not someone who has taken readily to computers and the internet, (being of the generation that `missed out` on learning these forms of communication when we were young), but I am now experiencing more fully than ever before the wonders of Zoom and WhatsApp. It is great to be able to communicate with my White Eagle friends and family all around the world - not just speaking, but `seeing` too. But I don`t think any technology can ever replace the joy of actually being physically present with someone you love. (Even though, with the help of White Eagle`s teaching, I am learning more and more about the reality of being with people I love who have passed on.)

So, maybe, one important lockdown lesson is indeed placing greater value on time with loved ones, and making sure that when the restrictions end we don`t fill our lives too full again with other things, and make time to be with loved ones. I remember when my dear Dad suddenly passed on I wished I had done this. It is a great comfort to me to know that I now spend time with him in his heavenly garden, and I often feel him around. (The cheerful robin singing in the garden has always been one of those signs that here he is). But now I know for sure that having time for loved ones, is far more important than things!

Reflecting along these lines, I found comfort as I read these words (on a rainbow theme!) in White Eagle`s little book, THE SOURCE OF ALL OUR STRENGTH:
`A sorrow can be like a rainy day with sunlight shining through. And sun through rain creates a rainbow. So it is with human life. Look to the sunlight of God knowing that your Father-Mother will send you nothing but good, that your loved ones are in God`s care, and that God`s love for them is greater than your own!`

No comments:

Post a Comment